Personal information under this Policy is personal information that we directly associate with a specific person such as the person's name, address, phone or fax number, email address, account information (e.g., member account, credit card information and online registration), online activities or other specific personal information.
Collection of Personal Information
We collect personal information about you in the normal course of our business when you shop at our stores or on our site or when you use our services or otherwise interact with us. Various ways in which we may obtain personal information from you are described below.
Automatically Collected Personal Information. We receive certain types of personal information automatically whenever you use our services. For example, when your web browser accesses our site, we obtain certain types of personal information, such as your IP address, the type of browser you use, and the page you visited before visiting our site.
Our Use of Personal Information
We use the personal information we collect for a variety of purposes; for example, to provide products or services, process and complete transactions, ship or otherwise deliver goods or services, respond to requests, make internal business decisions, evaluate available offers and make decisions about services offered, protect our rights or property, create products and services, anticipate and resolve actual or potential problems with our products and services, and inform you of FLIGHT-1 products, services and offers that we believe you will find of interest.
Below are some additional, more specific examples of how we use personal information:
- We use your billing and credit card personal information to process your orders for products and services, to deliver products and services to you, and to bill you for them.
- We may use your personal information to verify and validate your identity.
- If you submit a job application or resume to us, we may use the personal information in the application or resume to communicate with you and, subject to laws and regulations that govern our consideration of that personal information, to evaluate your qualifications for employment.
- For marketing and similar purposes, we may use personal information to offer products and services from us or others. We also offer opt-out choices, which you may access by clicking on the link.
- Although our site is intended primarily for U.S. users, we offer outdoor adventure experiences and other events that take place in other countries and, in a global economy, we do not conduct every aspect of our business in just one country. We may transfer personal information about you worldwide in any manner consistent with this Policy.
- We keep information as a record of our interactions with you. If you place an order or otherwise deal with us or our representatives over the telephone, we may record the conversation. Personal information referenced in the call may be recorded or entered into another media (e.g., a computer). We may also keep logs of online chat and emails we receive from you.
- We may provide notice of unauthorized access or other invasions of certain security systems, as required by law or otherwise. We may do so by posting notice on our site or sending notice to any email address we have for you, or by other means. You understand that notice to you will count as notice to others using your account or membership and you agree to pass this notice on to them.
- We may use personal information about you to deal with legal process, below, and to comply with corporate laws that allow FLIGHT-1 members to examine certain corporate books and records (such as minutes of member meetings and names and addresses of members entitled to vote).
- We may use personal information about you in an attempt to do any or all of these kinds of things: (i) prevent or investigate fraud, crimes, unauthorized use of personal information or the site, or economic or personal harm to anyone (including FLIGHT-1); (ii) facilitate product recalls; and (iii) to investigate, protect, defend, or enforce rights and property of FLIGHT-1 or anyone else. In listing these types of actions where we may use personal information, we are not promising to take any such action and we will take or not take such action in our sole discretion.
It is impossible to list every lawful use that we might make of personal information and the above examples are not intended to do so - they are only a general description and are for illustration.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Except as described in this Policy, our business practice is to not disclose personal information about you outside of FLIGHT-1 and its affiliates without your consent. We disclose personal information as follows:
- With Your Consent. We disclose personal information about you to third parties with your consent. We may obtain consent from you in several ways, such as in a form or agreement; online, through "click-through" agreements or registration pages; verbally, through interactive voice response; or when your consent is part of the terms and conditions through which we provide you a particular product or service. Your consent is sometimes implicit. For example, if you purchase a product from a store or through our site and ask that it be shipped to your home or other address, you implicitly consent to our disclosure of your name and address to a third-party shipping company to complete delivery, of your credit card number to the credit card processor to authorize the transaction, and to the bank to collect payment.
- Product or Service Fulfillment. We may disclose personal information to third parties who complete transactions or perform services on our behalf, transactions on your behalf, or transfers related to providing products or services to you. For example, we may contract with third parties to host a site, collect and provide products reviews, send our emails or guide an adventure. Through contracts with these third parties, we restrict the manner in which they may use and disclose personal information about you without your consent.
- Special Offers. We sometimes offer to our members and customers special products and services from third parties, such as financial, travel and other consumer services. We may share certain personal information about you with these third parties so that they can notify you of their offerings or determine whether you qualify for the products or services. Each of these third parties must sign a contract that prohibits use of such information for any other purpose. If you prefer that we not share personal information with these third parties, please contact us.
- Certain Business Transfers. Personal information may be disclosed as part of a corporate business transaction, such as a merger or acquisition, joint venture, corporate reorganization, financing or sale of company assets. It may also be disclosed in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership in which personal information could be transferred to third parties as one of the business assets in the transaction.
- Legal Process; Protection of FLIGHT-1 and Others. We may disclose personal information to comply with the law (e.g., a lawful subpoena); to enforce or apply any contracts or agreements; to initiate, render, bill, and collect for products or services; to protect our rights or property; in connection with claims, disputes, or litigation; to protect ourselves, our members, and other customers from the harmful acts of others (e.g., theft, fraud, or abuse); or if we determine disclosure of personal information is necessary in an emergency.
Cookies, Web Beacons and Similar Technologies
We also allow collection by analytic service provider(s) of site click-stream and cookie data to help us track aggregate and individual use of our site and determine possible interests of users (e.g., if you read a site article about tents, during a subsequent visit we might present you with an article about maintaining tents). You can opt-out of some analytic collection by telling us to place a "Restricted Collection" cookie on your computer -- that cookie will not stop collection of aggregate personal information, but it should stop collection of information for purposes of determining your interests.
You may opt out of receiving commercial messages from us and from certain other parties and from our sharing of certain personal information at any time.
Access to Personal Information
We do not maintain all personal information in a form that can be accessed or updated by you and some items may not be changed (e.g., transaction records). Accordingly, we will determine what may be accessed and how; we may also keep a record of changes (including deletions) and disclose them for lawful purposes. We keep personal information for as long as we think is necessary or advisable and we reserve the right to retain it to the full extent not prohibited by law. We may discard personal information in our discretion so you should retain your own records. Often it is not feasible or advisable to discard personal information (such as commingled personal information), so we reserve the right to retain it but treat it as inactive or discarded. You may make a request for us to update personal information (that is eligible for updating) by contacting our Customer Service department via email, telephone, or mail (see http://www.flight-1.com/contacts.php for specific addresses and numbers); typically it takes us about two days to process an update request and we reserve the right to take longer.
Security of Personal Information
FLIGHT-1 takes physical, electronic, and procedural measures to protect personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure while it is under our control. Even so, security breaches and mistakes can and do happen and we do not guarantee the security of personal information. FLIGHT-1 employs Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to encrypt during transmission the payment card personal information you input when placing an order on our site. SSL is a commonly employed method of encrypted communication used on the Internet. Except for those transmissions, you should assume the site is not encrypted. Email communications and online chat are not encrypted, so do not include sensitive personal information in them. "Phishing," imposters, and fake websites are a fact of modern life. We have obtained VeriSign™ digital security certificates for our site. VeriSign is an independent third party that authenticates the identity of Internet servers and clients. By registering with VeriSign, we provide a means for you independently to help determine that the entity you are dealing with over the Internet is actually FLIGHT-1. http://www.verisign.com
What Can You Do To Protect Personal Information
At any time, if you believe personal information about you within our control has been accessed by unauthorized persons, please contact us at the address noted below.
An important part of ensuring the security of personal information is your own effort to protect it against unauthorized access or use. For instance, when you create an account on our site, you will chose a password. You should protect the security of your password to keep the other personal information you provide secured. Do not give your password to anyone else unless you intend that they have the same full access and ability to make changes to the account that you have. Change your password periodically.